Not you and me…it’s time for spotted lantern-flies (SLF) to get smashed! Last fall, East Goshen Township did a SLF “Smash a Thon” and it was a ton of fun! We kicked off the campaign at our Pumpkin Festival with a proverbial “first pitch” as I dressed up in a SLF costume and let the kids wack me with pool noodles!
This fall, I figured it was time to challenge some of my friends across the great state of Pennsylvania! After all, many of us are increasingly being affected by this devious, little invasive species! The 2019 fall campaign dates will be Monday, October 7th through Thursday, October 31st and our goal is 1,000,000 smashed SLFs!
Here’s how it will work!
- Register your community by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the official smash score sheet at: https://eastgoshen.org/spotted-lanternfly-smash-a-thon/
- Market to your community however you see fit – feel free to give weekly prizes etc.
- Weekly scoring will be totals from Sunday to Saturday for a given week.
- 1 point – Smashing one SLF
- 50 points – scraping one egg mass
- 100 points – having a tree treated or removing a Tree of Heaven
- Email me your community totals each Monday by 12pm to be posted to the leader board on the PRPS Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/PARECANDPARK/?epa=SEARCH_BOX
- The winning community will have the most SLF smashes per resident (to make the playing field even) as of the end of October 31st.
- I encourage everyone to have fun with it! Have residents post pictures to #SLFsmashcampaign and your social media pages!
- The community that ultimately comes out on top will win bragging rights, and the much coveted “Golden Fly Swatter”, to be presented at the PRPS Fall Membership Meeting.
Let’s get smashing!